blogged...
I've been pretty burned out about my blog lately. If any of you have come here recently you know that. I don't know how many weeks it's been since I last wrote, but it's depressing. I spend a fair amount of time reading stuff (books, magazines, and other blogs) and lately I've just felt like I don't have much to add.
If any of you have read Nikki's blog you know how bad she wants to be the originator. The first to think of things and I guess we're all kind of the same way. We all want to feel like we're intelligent and capable of original thought. Right? At this point I think it's pretty much impossible. If I want to hear a new band first, I have to be at their very first performance in their practice space. That's it. Otherwise I've been introduced to it through someone else. I don't know what I'm getting at except that I don't know what makes me think that I have anything to add here on my blog that you can't find somewhere else. That was a strange sentence. I think I'm a little depressed lately. Not clinically depressed, as in a chemical imbalance.... just blue. And lately as in the last 24 hours, not the past few months.
I just read a blog by this guy who does some interesting thinking and some really creative writing. It intimidates me, and I just don't want to try to compete in this "blogosphere". Who would want to read this blog about some kid who's a little glum!? Not me.
So I'm always tempted to step back into my comfort zone. To stick to what I'm good at. But really, am I any better at playing guitar than writing a blog? And am I going to fool myself into thinking I'm the best guitar player there is? No. I personally know a lot of people who play far better than I do. So will I stop doing that? I'll just read. But other people will be more well-read than I.
In the end I have to deal with the frustration of feeling inferior to others and just do what I want. Enjoy life. I have to shut out this bit of negative thought in order to function normally. Funny how that is. It seems to me that a happy life has to involve a certain amount of ignorance... Ignorance is bliss, like they say.


3 Comments:
Sarcasm, and extreme pessimism can actually make for great writing, man. That one paragraph that's "supposed to be about all the progressive things I believe in" was hilarious. You definitely have the talent. You don't need a Multiple Personality Disorder to write good stuff. Just focus on what you're good it.
Marvin the Robot from Douglas Adams "Hitchhikers Guide Trilogy" is a perfect example of how funny you can be(I haven't seen the movie so I don't know if it does Marvin justice).
But you do have to try. Don't just give up, dude.
Thanks Smoker. That's actually just what I needed to hear. I appreciate it, and thanks for following Nik's link to my blog.
"A little flattery will support a man through great fatigue."
--James Monroe
Stoker, you know, I find myself thinking the same things. There are so many people in the world, and when you start comparing yourself to others, well, you'll always find somebody who does something better than you. Or before you, if you will. But I think I'm on to something when I say, you just have to stop comparing yourself to other people. It doesn't work. This next bit is going to sound really cheese, but here it is. All you can do is be the best you. Pure cheese, I know. Dr. Seuss has a great poem (I was going to summarize it, but I searched on the internet and found the entire poem, so cool) "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive That is you-er than you! Shout aloud, I am glad To be what I am! Thank goodness I'm not a clam or a ham Or a dusty old jar of gooseberry jam! I am what I am! What a great thing to be! If I say so myself Happy every day to me!"
For what it's worth, I like reading both your and Nikki's thoughts on your blogs. If nothing else, it lets me know you better. Love ya Stokey!
Post a Comment
<< Home